21 February 2011

Equations and Rulers and Students, Oh My!

At the beginning of January 2011, I began substitute teaching. Not any old kind of substituting – I became the long-term sub for a teacher (and friend) who just had her first baby boy (check out their blog when you can – McGuires of Arabia).



I still have three weeks left, but I wanted to capture some of the lessons I have learned so far from this experience. Most of these may seem obvious to other educators, but from a non-teacher’s perspective, it was a steep learning curve! Also note that I was teaching 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th grade math (pre-algebra, algebra and geometry). Those classes are where I learned the most about why people choose to be a teacher.

Let me begin by saying that two weeks into this, I was a mess – exhausted, overwhelmed and counting down each day until this was over. On multiple occasions I told people that I now viewed teachers as gods, and that I didn’t have the passion that they did to do this every day. However, a few things have happened that have opened my eyes.

Ready or Not

Of course the switch wasn’t easy for students who already had a hard time – a new “teacher” comes in that is basically winging this whole teaching thing, yet she’s going to be in charge for over two months. My biggest fear would be that the students wouldn’t have actually learned anything when I was done. Now I think my fear has changed – I don’t want them to lose the progress they’ve made when I have to leave.

One student in particular has really moved me. This 7th grade boy was really struggling last quarter. He actually earned an F for the term. However, I could tell he wanted to do better. Once the new quarter started (about 2 weeks into my term), I changed things up. I made it mandatory for my 7th and 8th graders to take notes during class (which they weren’t up until this point), gave them some tips on how to take notes for math (it’s a little different), and I checked them for a grade.

Second, I created a project for my 7th graders so they could use what they learned in the current chapter about ratios and proportions with real life information. They had to display their investigation on a poster. My student who had done so poorly on exams and tests tied for the highest grade in the class! It felt so good to see him show what he had learned and with the most creativity out of all the projects. I emailed his father to tell him how well he did, and I’ve been in weekly contact with him ever since.

The student started asking for extra practice worksheets before his test so that he and his dad could work through more problems. And this last week he scored a 74% C on his test! This is unheard of for this student! Just a few weeks earlier he only scored a 50% on a quiz for this same chapter. Suffice it to say, the difference I see in this student’s attitude, the way he’s taken ownership of his learning, and his determination to not fail is the most inspiring thing I’ve seen in a while.

Lessons Learned

After this whole crazy ride is over, I will remember the smiles and looks on the faces of students who realize that the hard work they’ve done – all the hours of homework and studying and enduring mom checking every problem and making them redo them – has actually paid off. All the fist-pumps, exaggerated “YESSSS!”’s and quiet but proud smiles are mine to remember and enjoy forever.

So am I ready to hand in my PR badge for a shiny teaching certificate? Probably not, but not because I don’t have the passion. Once you work with kids for this long and see their progress, see how hard they try and share in their successes and failures, you can’t say you don’t have a passion for it. These students and this position has awaken a part of me that has been dormant for a while – the part that wants to touch the lives of students and help them see their own potential. Now what I do with this realization and discovery is still undetermined, but it probably won’t be in a traditional teaching role.

That’s because I realized the one thing that “real” teachers have an abundant supply of that I just ain’t got – endurance. So my hat’s off to the teachers out there who push kids to be better every day and have the stamina to make a career out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts